The Science Department offers a wide range of classes to meet the varied abilities and interests of PHS students. The 9th grade entry level course is Science 9, which focuses on introductory topics in Physics. Well prepared students entering high school are encouraged to take Biology, which meets the “D” Laboratory Science requirement for a Life Science.
Additional course offerings open to 10th-12th graders include:
- Environmental Science
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Chemistry, Honors Physics
- College Prep Earth Science and AP Environmental Science
We also offer Dual Enrollment life and physical science offerings in conjunction with Mt. San Jacinto Junior College. Dual Enrollment allows students to earn both high school and college credit for courses.
We also offer 3 courses in the Project Lead the Way Biomedical Pathway:
- Principles of Biomedical Sciences
- Human Body Systems
- Medical Interventions
- AP Biology: AP Biology is an introductory college-level biology course. Students cultivate their understanding of biology through inquiry-based investigations as they explore the following topics: evolution, cellular processes — energy and communication, genetics, information transfer, ecology, and interactions. Grades are weighted on a 5-point scale. Passing the college board exam may earn students college credit.
- AP Chemistry: An Ap Chemistry course is designed to be the equivalent of a general chemistry course usually taken during the first year of college. Successful completion would allow students to undertake a second year chemistry course as a freshman or to take classes for which general chemistry is a prerequisite. It could also meet university requirements for a laboratory science and allow students to focus on other areas of study. Another positive aspect of an AP Chemistry class is the comprehensive laboratory schedule. The students will have the opportunity to learn using hands on methods in a laboratory setting to a much greater extent than a in a non-AP class. It is highly recommended that this class be taken as a second year chemistry class.
- Anatomy and Physiology: This year long college prep course covers the basics of human anatomy and physiology, including anatomical terminology, basic biochemistry, cells and tissues; and the integumentary, skeletal, muscular, nervous, endocrine, circulatory, lymphatic/immune, respiratory, digestive, urinary and reproductive systems. It also introduces students to common human disease processes.
- Biology: This year long course will introduce biology as a process of examining organisms and life processes, the chemistry of life, cells and their functions in organisms, DNA and genetics, evolution of life on Earth and ecology.
- Chemistry: This course is an in-depth look at concepts related to matter at the molecular level and its chemical reactions. Emphasis will also be placed on the value of such study to our everyday experience. This course is lab-oriented and is of great value to students who are college bound.
- Dual Enrollment Biology: This is an introductory college course in biological sciences. This semester long course will cover the fundamentals of scientific investigation, biochemistry, cell morphology and physiology, energy systems, genetics, evolution, plant and animal morphology, animal anatomy and physiology, and ecology. PHS students can earn 3 college credits, 10 high school credits, and earn a grade boost all at the same time.
- Earth Science: This year long course introduces concepts in Geology, Oceanography, Meteorology, and Astronomy.
- Environmental Science:
- Honors Physics:
- Project Lead the Way Biomedical Science Pathway
MSJC Dual Enrollment courses are only offered to students in grades 11 & 12. These courses require students to meet the prerequisites for admission to courses, complete the MSJC application and registration process.
- Physical & CA Geography/AP Environmental
- Coast to Cactus Spring 2023
- Physical Geography Fall 2023
- Physical Geography Fall 2023
Medical Terminology, Medical Assisting Admin, Medical Assisting Clinical, Medical Office Operations, Chemistry, Medical Assisting IO
CP Earth Science, AP Environmental Science, MSJC Dual Enrollment Physical Geography; Social/Behavioral Sciences: Cultural and California Geography, AP Human Geography
Chemistry, Physics, Physics Honors
Anatomy/Physiology, Principles of Biomedical Sciences, Biology
Biology, Environmental Science, Study Skills
Biology, MSJC Dual Enrollment Human Evolution, MSJC Dual Enrollment Topics in Biology